Monsopiad Village in Sabah

Kota Kinabalu City Day 1

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Climbing Mountain Kinabalu Day 1

14th July 2008

We waked up 6 a.m and take a van to Kinabalu Park for Mountain Kinabalu climbing. After 2 hours journey, we finally reached Kinabalu Park.


Mountain Kinabalu from far view.

8.00 a.m

We were at Sutera Sanctuary Lodges for registration of Mountain Kinabalu climbing.


Four of us were fully prepared to Mountain Kinabalu.


This is the card for very check point stations registration.



This is the MT. Kinabalu summit trail. Our today target was 6km and then take a short break at Laban Rata Resthouse.

9.00 a.m
Our first check point was Timpohon Gate. They are two first check points, Timpohon Gate and Mesilau Gate, each 6 km and 8 km respectively to Laban Rata Resthouse. We selected the shortest journey for our climbing. Of course, we are not well trained for this climbing.


I was at Timpohon Gate, well equipped with climbing utilities. The stick costs me RM 3.00.


This is little waterfall, located near from Timpohon Gate.

9.30 a.m



We already walked 1 km. We took a short break at Kandis Shelter.


Were were so excited because only spent half an hour to reach 1 km. Not bad.

10.00 a.m


This photo was taken from 2160m.


It is so simple to reach furthe 0.5 km within 1/2 hour.

10.30 a.m


We already walked 2 km. I didn't felt any pain and tired at all. I was so glad that I attend yoga classes to improve my stamina. Actually, our progress was very slow because many climbers take over us. Our objective is reaching Laban Rata Resthouse by 6p.m. We didn't mind how long we take to, but as long as we reach there.

11.00 a.m


Finally 2 km. Having light lunch at Lowii Shelter and drinked untreated water.

12.00 p.m


A bit tiring due to the uphill road. However, i felt happy because left 2.5 km to resthouse. Fighting, Fighting, Fighting!

1.00 p.m



Shocked me. I took 1 hour to walk only 0.5 km. I can't believe it. The journey became more and more difficult.


The fog condition became serious.




The uphill road became more challenging. However, it's valueable for climbing. More further climbing, the view will more beautiful.

1.45 p.m


Only remaining 1.5 km to resthouse.

2.00 p.m


The weather became very cold. All my luggage is not with me now.Luckily, my body still warm in exercise condition.



2.30 p.m


Only 1 km to resthouse. I was started to think of "Why i paid money for suffering myself". I felt that this journey was very long and wondered when i can reach there.





3.25 p.m


I don't know how to describe my feeling. My hope was only 0.5km and then i can take a rest.

3.50 p.m


A small rain was started and we needed to wear rain coat.

4.00 p.m


Finally, Laban Rata Resthouse was just in front of me. I wanted to cry because finally i achieved today's objective. The next objective was climbing to mountain summit tommorrow.


Yee Chieh and I reached resthouse at 4p.m. My another two friends reached there at 5 p.m. This is the best achievement i have been obtained in my life. I never walked and climbed 6 km within 7 hours without any tiring. If last time, my leg will start to shake and pain, my body will give me a signal to stop for any further. Although this is not a good record for other, but this is good enought for me. Congratulation to myself.

3 comments:

Yee Chieh said...

YEAH! at least we made it for the first day!

Anonymous said...

The view is so nice. Happy to see you all can reach/almost reach the summit. Sad that i cannot join you all, and wonder when i have chance to be there.......

Anonymous said...

The view is so nice. Happy to see you all can reach/almost reach the summit. Sad that i cannot join you all, and wonder when i have chance to be there.......From Yen Chiew